Do you have any admissions questions? Check our FAQs below to find answers.

Governors State University has been monitoring the evolving outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and has decided to take the following precautionary measures. The University’s first and foremost concern is safety of all individuals.



While we are addressing the seriousness of this situation, we do not want you to be deterred from pursuing your educational goals!


Stay on top of the process by submitting your application for admission. Our application portal is online and may be accessed remotely.  The Office of Admission will remain staffed and is available to answer any questions you may have!  Virtual and individual appointments are available. Please email to schedule.


Please note, if you have submitted an application for admission, we do require all official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Transcripts can be mailed to the address listed below, or may be submitted electronically to You may check the status of you application at any time by contacting the Office of Admission.


If you have any questions or concerns, you may reach the Office of Admission at (708) 534-4490 or


GSU will continue to provide further information for how these measures will be implemented to address the specific educational and safety needs of our campus community.


For more information about COVID-19 and Governor State’s response, please visit You may also email questions directly to Our website is updated regularly and contains a Frequently Asked Questions section and the self-reporting form.

  • Which application should I complete?


    You are a freshman applicant if you currently attend high school, have graduated from high school or have passed the GED and have never attended a college, university or trade school after graduating from high school or have less than 24 semester hours from a regionally accredited institution.

    You are a transfer applicant if you have 24 semester hours or more from a regionally accredited institution.

    You are a graduate level student if you have previously earned a bachelor's degree or higher.

  • How can I determine the status of my application?


  • Will all of my credits transfer?


    Most college level credits from a regionally accredited college or university will transfer. Make sure that you check the grade requirements for the academic program that you're interested in. As a general rule, a grade of "C" or 2.0 or higher is required. In some cases, credits will not transfer because they do not meet the requirements of the program that you're applying to. Visit our transferology website for more information about transferring your credits.

  • Are there resources available for students interested in transferring to GSU?


    The following links and information are helpful to undergraduate students looking to transfer to GSU as well as for area administrators, faculty and staff.

  • Can I take individual courses without pursuing a degree?


    Absolutely! You will apply for admission as a non-degree seeking student, which does not require you to submit transcripts (unless you did not leave your last institution in good standing). Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

  • Where can I get a university catalog?


    You can find the university catalog at

  • Are there programs available for students studying at a distance?


    Distance learning is one of GSU's strengths. We offer more than 130 courses online or as distance learning programs. GSU also offers correspondence and tele-courses. Students who enroll in any of our distance learning courses are charged in-state tuition rates no matter where they live. Additional information is available from the GSU School of Extended Learning.

  • How do I know if my transcripts are official?


    Request official transcript(s) from each college or university you have attended and have them sent to:

    Governors State University
    Office of Admissions
    1 University Parkway
    University Park, IL 60484-0975

    Important: Do not open transcripts sent directly to you. Instead, please forward the transcript directly to GSU at the above address.

    Official transcripts can also be sent electronically directly from the sending institution to Governors State by having them emailed to

  • Do I need to attend a new student orientation?


    Yes, you are required to complete new student orientation. Should you be accepted, you will receive an email with additional information regarding completing new student orientation.